FREE BACKGROUND CHECKS BEGINNING OCTOBER 1, 2018
For the next two years DECAL will pay the cost of the initial fingerprint scan for eligible early care and education workers. This includes new hires to the industry and those whose current records check determination letter is about to expire. When registering for a fingerprint scan, you must select the DECAL – Daycare Director/Employee reason code and type in GAP11164 for the Requesting Agency ID.
Individuals working in license-exempt programs that receive CAPS subsidy, working in licensed child care programs or residing (aged 17 or older) at a program must undergo a comprehensive background check and obtain a satisfactory determination from DECAL.
UPCOMING CHANGES TO THE BACKGROUND CHECK REQUIREMENTS – On and after October 1, 2018,
– Local background checks will no longer be accepted (no more 21-day provisional employment)
– Everyone must have at least a fingerprint-based background check letter issued by DECAL before they can be present at the center to care for children or reside at a center
– The new definition of Provisional Employee includes those with only a satisfactory Fingerprint Records Check Determination. People with this type of clearance are allowed on site, but must be under the direct and continuous supervision of a Director or Employee with a satisfactory Comprehensive Records Check Determination
– A new comprehensive background check must be run for anyone who has had a lapse of employment in the child care industry that lasts 6 months or longer. (Students-in-Training are considered “employed in the child care industry” if they’ve been enrolled in a child care related curriculum.)
– Programs can no longer accept paper clearance letters from a prospective employee. Letters will only be accepted at a facility if they are “ported” electronically through your DECAL KOALA account.
Click here for more information.